Important Textbook Info
Why should I buy my textbooks from the UVM Bookstore?
The UVM Bookstore has what you need to help you succeed! Our textbook department works with your instructors to stock the right new, used, rental, and digital books for your classes – guaranteed. When you purchase your books through the Bookstore
, you’re also investing in your community. Every purchase you make at the Bookstore circulates money back into the UVM and Burlington communities to support students, faculty, staff, and campus initiatives.
How do I get my textbooks?
Textbooks are now available for purchase in-store.
If you have not yet ordered your textbooks, the fastest way to get them is to purchase them in the Bookstore. Please enter the Bookstore through our main entrance on the third floor of the Davis Center. We are letting customers into the textbook area to pick their own books but we have a maximum capacity of six customers in the textbook area. Please wait at the top of the stairs and a Bookstore employee will direct you. If you are unable to purchase in-store, you can still order textbooks online
. Using your online course list place your order and we pull, pack, and ship your textbooks, or if you prefer you can pick them up at the Bookstore.
Ordering online is the safest and quickest way to get your course materials. When you place your order online
and select DELIVER TEXTBOOKS TO RESIDENCE HALL
- We send your online textbook order(s) to your residence hall’s mailroom for convenient pick up at no additional cost to you!
- Enter the name of your residence hall and room number for your Shipping Address or in the Special Instructions box during checkout. If you need help finding your residence hall's street address, you can get that information here: https://www.uvm.edu/reslife/mailing_address_unit_numbers. After entering your campus address, double check to make sure you have selected Deliver Textbooks to Residence Hall as your shipping method.
- The deadline to order textbooks for delivery to your residence hall is Wednesday, August 26th.
When you select TEXTBOOKS TO BE SHIPPED:
- we mail your textbooks to your home address so you can start the semester off right!
- Pro-tip: Cool Cats from out-of-state order early to ensure they are home when their textbooks arrive before they leave for campus. Please remember shipping times can vary from one to five business days depending on location. If in doubt, select Deliver Textbooks to Residence Hall or Pick up at Bookstore as your shipping method.
When is the best time to order my books?
When deciding how early to order your books there are a few things to keep in mind. Textbook orders are processed in the order in which they are received. Our used books are first come, first served so if getting used books is important to you, it is better to place your order as early as possible
to have the best chance of receiving them. Remember to place your order early enough to ensure delivery by the start of classes. The deadline to order books with delivery to your residence hall is Wednesday, August 26th.
What if the books for my courses aren’t listed on the Bookstore website?
We are still receiving book requisitions from instructors and will continue to add titles to our website as they become available. If you don’t see the title you are looking for listed, keep checking back. If your instructor hasn’t decided what course materials they are going to use yet, or has not asked the Bookstore to carry the textbooks required for your class, the books will not be available on the Bookstore website.
Who determines what books are needed for my classes?
Your instructors choose the specific books and editions that will be used for your classes. Encouraging your instructors to re-use the same books or older editions next semester helps keep textbook prices down.
What are the different recommendation codes and what do they mean on my course list?
- Required: Required means that the material is essential to be successful in the course.
- Pick One: There are often various formats of the required material. You only need to choose one format.
- Recommended/Optional: If your instructor designates a material as Recommended or Optional, it is not essential to be successful in the course, but will be a supplemental resource for the course.
What are the different types of course materials the Bookstore offers?
- Hardcover: A book bound with a rigid protective cover.
- Loose-leaf: A collection of loose pages that are typically three hole punched and are best organized in a binder.
- Access Code: A printed one-time code that gives you access to all online course content and, in some cases, a digital version of the textbook.
- eBook: A digitally rented book that gives you instant access and is good for one semester.
- Course Packets: A custom printed packet for your course that can only be found at the UVM Bookstore.
- New: A never before read book that is looking for a good home.
- Used: A pre-read book that is available for purchase at a reduced price.